Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Snail Whisper

Boog has had a rather large interest in insects and other small outdoor creature for awhile now. It started with Worms, then moved to Rollie Pollies and now Snails.

If you ask him he will tell you about them (mainly that they are nice and they crawl), but the part that cracks me up is that they are his friends.






He is very nice to them, tries to share his food and toys (yuck!). He talks to them and protects them (from his Sissy, Littles, grabby hands). To top it off, they seem to like him! This morning the snail found him and started the crawl up his leg, Boog was super stoked!

They played "together" for well over an hour. Boog insisted that I  do a "photo shoot" of the snail.






After a couple of pictures he decided I wasn't "really capturing the snails personality" and that he should be the photographer! So he took "Snail" inside (yes I let him bring him inside, cause otherwise he sneaks them in! more on that in a bit) found his camera and took pictures of  "Snail" for 15 min!




Once they grew bored of taking pictures, Boog came up and said the "Snail" wanted to watch Star Wars. So I poped in the DVD, because who am I to deny "Snail" his favorite move Star Was ;)

After watching a bit of the movie, Boog informed me that "Snail" was tired and want to go back home. Boog opened the back door, headed outside and place "Snail" on a leaf and then came back inside. What a lovely play date!

This isn't the first time he has spent time playing with a snail. Each time we go outside he searches for them and once he finds one, he includes it in all his outdoor activiities. I never had a problem with that, until Boog decided snails should also be allowed inside. I had a strict "No Snails Inside" policy.....until the other day when Boog snuck one in. I was doing the dish and making lunch, then when I went to get the kids ready to eat I found him, the snail, just chilling on the couch with Boog!



I immediately ask Boog what the snail was doing inside! Boog's reply "My friend snail, nice snail, snail watch tt (tv)". It melted my heart and grossed me out all at the same time. So a new policy was born, snails are only allowed inside when Mommy says so and in a approved container (a bowl just for snails) or his kids table that I can clean easily once the snail returns home.

My son, befriender of snails!

2 comments: