Friday, June 10, 2011

Reading To Your Children Is Important And A Joy

I have the fondest memories of my mother reading to me when I was a child. The most vivid memory is every Christmas she would read me the Little Match Girl. At the end my mother would always cry and I would make fun of her (I was such a lovely child) because it was "Just a story Mom".

But once I got older and read it to Boog his on first Christmas I found myself in tears at the end just like my mother. It is funny how stories stay with us and how our reaction to them change as we get older.

 I feel very strongly about reading to my children. It is great bonding time, it helps broaden their vocabulary, and hopefully teaches them to love books. I will admit Boog didn't always love books. Okay he did, but eating them, not having them read to him.

Boog 5 months old
Littles on the other hand took to books right away. It didn't matter if I read them to her or not. She would pick them up before she could even sit and flip through the page on her own.
Littles 3 months old


Both of the kids love books now. One of their favorite places to go is Barnes and Noble for story time.

The kids at Barnes and Nobel when they were younger. I don't take pictures there as much as I used to because I am busy chasing Littles around. She has hit the stage of "have to explore EVERYTHING".

And they get super excited about their bedtime routine. It combines their two favorite things a bath, (not every night, but a couple of time during the week) and story time.

We spend one full hour reading (and goofing around) before the kids hit the sack. I used to be the one who did bedtime, but since I work nights five times a week my husband (Mr. R) does 5 nights by himself and two with me. I really miss always being there for bedtime. I love reading to the kids and having them sit on my lap and telling me about the books.

Here is how last night's bedtime routine went. In the beginning it consisted of Littles and Boog fighting over who got to sit on my lap (and no, they were not happy sharing my lap with each other) so we switched off. Littles would pick a book and she would get to sit on my lap. Then Boog got to pick a book and he would sit on my lap. This went rather smoothly until Mr. R came into the room. I swear his very presents sometimes sets the kids into crazy, rambunctious mode.

After they calmed back down it was Mr. R's turn to read a book.

 While Mr. R read his book, shocking a Star Wars book (my husband is the BIGGEST Star Wars geek!) Littles decided she wanted to read her own in my lap.

A music book of children's songs, shocking, she sure does love her music. Then Boog told me "My turn now, p-l-e-a-s-e" and put his hand out for the camera.

We were not prepared for this picture (otherwise we would have been smiling, not a look of what??), but a pretty good shot for a three year old. Next was Littles and my turn to have our picture taken by Boog.


Soon Boog gave the camera up and decided to serenade us while rocking in the the glider.


I put two wall decals of fairy doors in Littles' room and Boog nightly tries to coax the fairies out by knocking and offering them things (and yes he believes that fairies really live there). I love it, it is a crack up to watch and super cute!

Meanwhile Littles was back to reading her music book, she is such a doll.

And we always read a dinosaur book, if not more then one per Boog's request. Littles added the sound affects this night, Roar, Arrr!

Soon the hour was up and time for bed. Littles turned off the light closest to her bed and Boog gave her a kiss.

I highly suggest adding story time to your nightly routine if you already don't. And read some books for yourself, because if they see you reading leisurely they will know books are fun and cool. And remember books aren't just good for your children they are good for adults too.
What is your children's favorite book?
What is your favorite book?

3 comments:

  1. We're HUGE book readers in our family. Several books before bed, and our tiny bookcases are overflowing. Plus, we visit the library at least once a month. My son is now starting to read and it's so much fun!

    Following along from the vB blog hop!
    Gina
    www.totallyfullofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. To foster a love of reading parents need to spend time with their children reading and talking about books. Your family are having such fun with books, it's a joy to see. Following you from blog hop weekend.p.s. Audio stories are also a great, especially when you are all tired!
    Nina
    www.ninalaina.info

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I am now following you too :) It is so wonderful to hear others put as much importance on reading as my family does. Cheers, to building bright futures for our children!

    ReplyDelete