Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Creatures Of The Ocean

This morning it was our first class of Summer music "Creatures of the Ocean". Littles did music in the spring and LOVED it, so I wanted to sign her up again for summer. The only day we could do it though was Tuesdays and I didn't have anyone to watch Boog so I signed him up too. I was a little nervous,because music class is a lot of circle time, which has never really been Boog's Strong suit.

For Boog's 3rd birthday I hired the music teacher for his party. He did okay, but didn't really participate except for the very beginning. I had video taped his party and was playing it one day just after signing him up for class and got a glimmer of hope. He loved the video. He sat and followed all the teacher's directions, laughed and had fun.

I would like to tell you that today's class was a success, and it sort of was. Littles did great as usual, Boog on the other hand.......well not so much. He spent most of his time running around and only participating in what he want to.
Dancing with scarves. A moving around activity that Boog decided was worthy of his time.
Could have been a really cute shot if it wasn't blurry, ugh.

I will admit I was a little embarrassed by his behavior ( I should clarify, I wasn't embarrassed by him, but by the fact that other people had paid money for the class too and he was being disruptive. I should also say he wasn't the only one running around, but he kind of got the others wound up). He wasn't terrible by any means,but he wouldn't sit still for any length of time (Littles sat the entire time, like an angel). I tired my hardest to get him to join in, but with both of the kids there, well I can't be two place at once. So I finally made the decision to be an example, by participating in the class with Littles instead of chasing after Boog (in hopes he would see Mama and Sissy and want to do what we were doing, plus I didn't want Littles time spoiled).

Littles enjoying herself and looking super cute
The end of class, bubble time. Both of the kids always get very excited about bubbles.


I just don't understand how he can do so well at preschool, including circle time (I heard wonderful things about his behavior from the end of year meeting) ,then when it is a class that I am forking out money for to help enrich his life, that is when he decides to act up. I know you may be thinking to yourself, maybe he has ADD or "he is just a little kid" but he CAN sit and stay with a task for long periods of time, the trick is it has to be on his terms. Stubborn little kid, I wonder where he gets that from (wink, wink...me). For example today after we got home he sat himself down and colored for 25 minutes straight.
Unbelievable 25 minutes of coloring, why couldn't he have behaved like this in class.


The summer semester is only five weeks long, so if his behavior doesn't change at least I will only have to endure it for a short time (Littles is signed up for the Fall semester too, Boog is back in preschool and is not). But my real hope is that he grows to enjoy it (the actual class, because he enjoyed himself today...by running around) and learn some of the songs. Fingers crossed!

What would have you done in my shoes? Chased after him and made him sit in circle? Left the class?

No comments:

Post a Comment