Monday, June 27, 2011

Memory Monday



I am so proud of my little man. I can't believe that back in October he could only communicate by a series of  "un, un" and a few words (yes, moo for cow, arrr for dino, plus a couple more) as you can see in the video. Now he can form 3 word phrases.

He has come so far, and it has been a lot of hard work. He was seen 5 days a week for his speech from the age of 22 months old to 3. Then I made him do drills with flash cards through out the day everyday. Now he goes to a preschool that focuses on speech delays.

He still struggles to communicate, and get frustrated when he isn't understood, but nothing like he used to. I think sometimes we take talking for granted, it comes so easily for most of us, and it is one of the main forms for communication and a way to connect with one another.

I will admit I am still concerned for him. I do believe he will get up to speed with his language skills, but what if he isn't before starting Kindergarden? He is bright, and very knowledgeable (when we test his cognitive development is just above where it should be and has always been on the high range since he was very little), but people (kids and adults) can be cruel. If he talks "different" I don't want him to be teased. Being a kid is hard enough without being teased for something you have worked so hard at.  But for now I need to push my worries a side and focus on the fact that he is doing so well. He amazes me! His strength and drive to be able to communicate is awe inspiring. I love you Boog, you have been my best teacher through out all of this.

2 comments:

  1. Some children are slow to speak. My son decided he would not really bother until about three 1/2. My godson had to have speech therapy. I look at them now and wonder why we worried. Now eight and five respectively and you cannot keep them quiet! Keep talking to your little man. You'll be surprised at just how much he is taking in. Make sure you get him audio books and nursery songs... Although your interaction with him is always the most precious. So pleased for you.
    Nina
    NinaLaZina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Kim, such a lovely post...your little Boog is MUCH loved and he'll get it soon.
    They all develop so differently.
    Sorry I haven't past by recently...it's been busy with school starting.
    HUGS
    Char.x

    ReplyDelete