Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Who Knew A Haircut Could Be So Emotional!

My Husband has been bugging me to get Littles haircut for well over three months now. I have put it off and put it off. I just wanted to let her hair grow out, I didn't want her to have bangs. Unfortunately she is in a stage right now, that as soon as I put a hair clip in (to keep the hair out of her eyes) she pulls it right out.

Littles ripping out the clip I just put in
So today I broke down and took her to get her first haircut. It is funny, with Boog I couldn't wait to get his first haircut, but with Littles I was dreading it. I find it very puzzling, I mean come on, it is just hair!

Normally Boog gets his haircut at home. Our neighbor comes over and cuts his, mine and the hubby's hair. It is great and easy. But for Littles first time I wanted it to be special, so I looked for a nearby kid's salon. I found one that looked really cool, so off we went.

Once there Boog was really excited, so I decided to have his cut too. Normally I stick to the round little kids haircut for him. I find it adorable, sweet and very Boog. This time I decided to go for something a little bit older looking. Another tough step for me to take, making him look older. I want him to stay little forever (okay not really, but letting go of the baby boy look isn't easy).

Boog going from Baby Boy to Little Man!

He did great! Normally at home he wiggles a lot and the haircut is a bit difficult because of it. At the Salon he got to sit in a cool car and loved every minute of it, the haircut was a breeze.

Now it was Littles turn. I pictured her screaming and crying, but leave it to my kids to do the exact opposite of what I expect, she was an angel!

Littles waiting for her name to be called to get her haircut!





I hate to admit this ,but right as the hairdresser was snipping off the first bit of hair I started to tear up. Then I thought to myself, "Who are you? You aren't the type of Mom to cry over something as silly as this?'. I was really shocked at myself and here is why.

One of my favorite books as a young girl was Little Women. I loved that book and read it over and over again, along with  Jo's Boys. The only part of Little Women that I couldn't stand was the part after Jo cut her hair and she started to cry. She wasn't crying because she did a selfless thing (she cut her hair to earn money to send her mother to see her sick father) or for the fact that her father had been wounded in the war. She was crying because she had lost her long beautiful hair. I always thought, " It's hair, it will grow back. Get over it!". Now here I am 20 years later, about to ball like a baby over the fact I had to cut my daughter's hair, unbelievable.

The tiny bit of hair I freaked out about.

Once I came to my senses and remembered it is just hair, I realized how cute my kids new haircuts are. The visit to the salon was a totally success and the kids were happy as pie!




Littles munching on her yellow lolly sporting her new do :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! They look great! I am so happy that you are engaging your children with so much vigor and passion and passing it along to others. I really appreciate you as a mother! Keep on raising happy babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Your kind words made my day and put the biggest smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hair cuts are perfect! And Boog looks like so handsome!!! And now you can see Lily's beautiful eyes!-Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kelsey, The really fun bit was my husbands response to their haircuts. I kid you not, the man who has been bugging me for months first words about Littles Haircut was "She looks like a boy or a kid from the 70's" and about Boog's was "why did you get him a military school haircut?". LOL! It was too funny. I just can't win ;)

    ReplyDelete