Sunday, May 29, 2011

Lunch Date

A dear friend of mine came over to give Boog his handmade belated birthday present and for a lunch play date with her son EJ.
Boog with his new Dino (that was made with love from my friend)

Littles eating lunch with EJ

The Kiddos


I have always felt socialization for young children is incredibly important. That being said I will admit that when Boog was a lot younger I didn't know many people with children his age, so most of his socialization was with adults instead of peers. I feel this was some what of a mistake on my part and here is why. Boog has always been super social, but he tends to gravitate towards adults and older children (around 8 or 9 years old).

When we are at the playground he ignores other children his age and tries to play with the big kids, the problem is most of the big kids want nothing to do with him because he is so much younger.

Even in preschool (I found out at the meeting) he will play side by side with kids his age (totally normal, that doesn't really change until 4 years old) and will constantly try and engage the teachers in play instead.

So with Littles I have changed my approach. I now have several friends with children right around Littles age so I do as many play dates a possible. It give both Boog and Littles more peer interaction. I have also been taking Littles to music class and this summer I also signed Boog up along with Tumbling class. We are going to have a busy summer filled with plenty of peer playtime :)

What do you do to insure your children have enough peer socialization?

1 comment:

  1. i made the same "mistake" with boo for the first year and a half of his life. i only had one local friend and her twins were over two years older. even though we play with tons of kids his age (and have since about 18 mos old) he still gravitates to the big kids/about two to three years older than him, when they're around. and bubbi? well, she thinks she's boos age so she is always calling kids her age babies lol

    ReplyDelete