Tuesday, March 15, 2011

And So It begins- The Journey to Motherhood

In June of 2007 I found out I was pregnant. When the test came out positive, I was a huge happy bundle of nerves. Mr. R and I were only trying for a month before actually conceiving. I have always known that I wanted to be a mother but to be face to face with a little white stick that said it was defiantly going to happen and soon (because nine months goes by very quickly) was a very odd sensation.

I had taken the test after I got home from work (I worked early mornings as a store manager at a California based coffee and tea company in Oakland. So I was off by 1:30pm) and once the results were in I immediately called Mr. R (who worked nights in a hotel at a restaurant in SF) to tell him the news. I was a little worried because even though we had decided to start trying, if I was unnerved by the news…how would he feel. As always I thought one thing (that he would freak out at least a little) and he did the opposite. This happens a lot with my children too! I think they will behave one way and they do the opposite. I recall him say something to the effect “Cool, this is what we were trying for. Man I am good, pregnant in a month of going off the Pill. I am awesome.”  Insert his giggling here.  Looking back on his comment about the pregnancy it reeks of Mr. R’s personality and humor, something I over looked at the time.

After hanging up the phone with Mr. R my next call was to my general practitioner. I schedule an appointment for the next day to go in and see her.  At that visit she ordered blood work to confirm the pregnancy. The results came back in a day. It was confirmed that I was pregnant. I was still nervous about being pregnant, but now the joy I felt was overwhelming.

My doctor then made her personal recommendation for an OBGYN, the one she went to and trusted. The only problem was they were in Daly City (were we were currently living) and in a month we were moving to Oakley and going to live in the house where I grew up . So I had to find one close to our new home. The travel time from Oakley to Daly City is one hour (if there is no traffic)that was going to be too long of a drive when it came time to deliver the baby. Luckily (or so I thought at the time) I found an OBGYN group in Brentwood, which is a neighboring city to Oakley. I had read great reviews about them, so I set up my first official prenatal appointment!

1 comment: